Venus has been a blessing during the tumultuous cosmic year of 2020 and provided us with collective comfort as we confront major paradigm shifts. Although this is a general examination of Venus and does not take into account one’s personal natal placements and current transits, collectively, it’s clear Venus has been in the right place at the right time in early 2020. Here’s a run-down of her year so far:
As 2020 began, Venus was providing some much-needed love in the Capricorn constellation as a stellium of planets created what we’ve referred to as the “Least Fun Party Ever.” At this party, Jupiter was expanding others power and energy but had his own diminished and was treated like a rebellious child who just got grounded and cut off from his trust fund. Pluto was there to start a fight and demand redemption while Saturn was silently judging everyone and ready to fight Pluto. Venus, however, stayed at the party just long enough to say hello and leave before the fight began.
Venus escaped Capricorn on January 9, 2020, and went to hide out in the Aquarius constellation where she could bring us “collective love vibes” as we confronted the “Shit Show” – aka the fight that broke out at the party between Saturn and Pluto leaving us all in a global health and economic crisis. As the crisis unfolded, Venus went to Pisces to provide us support as we faced endings and impermanence – the end of lives, the risks many lives were in, and the end of life as we know it. Venus is exalted in Pisces, so even though we had a major cosmic battle happening, the planet of love was doing her best to send loving and supportive cosmic waves our way.
As we had to leap into action and response in early to mid-March, Venus went over to the fast acting and brave Aries constellation. At the end of March 2020 as many were sheltering-in-place, she entered into Taurus where Venus truly feels at home. During this time she reminded us of the joy that can be felt at home and in nature. Many people have found a walk in nature deeply beneficial to their mental and emotional health. Venus at home in Taurus resulted in Mother Earth getting a much needed break from everyday and industrial pollution, and in many first time gardeners. As Taurus also rules money, Venus in Taurus provided us with much needed financial support during this time (and she’ll have our back again when she enters the 2nd House in early 2021 and helps the United States in economic recovery).
Venus provided us with a blessed and rare alignment when she crossed the Pleiades on April 3, 2020. This crossing provided us with even more galactic support and grounding.
This early 2020 Venus recap is essential, because we need you to understand VENUS HAS BEEN THERE FOR YOU IN EARLY 2020. Give a planet some praise, alright? Give gratitude first, and then get ready to co-create with astrology because Venus is about to introduce her own Paradigm Shift into 2020.
On April 3, 2020, when Venus crossed the Pleiades she was on her way to the Gemini constellation. Let’s view this as Venus going home in Taurus to recharge after helping Earth and its beings all year. It wasn’t a complete break since she was still sending us “self-love vibes” and urging us to take care of ourselves during this difficult time.
Did you notice how Venus went through six different constellations in the first four months of 2020? She was rushing through, but as she enters Gemini she knows she’ll be in this one constellation for four long months. Why? Because she has to experience a retrograde cycle. Venus stations retrograde in Gemini on May 13, 2020, and then she stations direct on June 25, 2020, and continues to reside in Gemini until August 8, 2020. Essentially, she went home before making a long and strange trip.
Let’s explore this trip in the Twin Constellation of Gemini by examining the ways Venus is – yet again – showing us the ideal support needed in 2020.
- Venus in Gemini favors skills and trades and gives us over a year’s span of time to learn and professionally grow at an accelerated rate. At a time when the job market is shifting, this is an incredibly blessing. Although Rahu in Sagittarius weakens traditional educational institutions, Venus in Gemini is all about practical and highly employable skills. This placement also favors working with hands so anyone in a skilled trade or hand-made goods will be blessed by Venus at this time.
- Venus in Gemini supports rapid training as well! If you have to change jobs or industries, or want to expand and learn new skills this is an excellent time. Gemini is Mercurial so our thinking, learning, and thought process can be accelerated when it comes to Venus themes like finances/material resources, art, creativity, beauty, and nature.
- Venus and Rahu in Gemini is rooting for local businesses! For the next year and a half, these two are putting the focus on local groups and businesses while detaching from large scale productions and organizations.
- Venus in Gemini will help us overcome our fear of touch and awaken our need for curiosity, touch, and deep connections. We must be mindful of Gemini ruling arms and hands, and be not slack on washing our hands. This placement puts work with hands in favor, but neglects hand sanitizing. “Wash Your Hands!”
- Venus in Gemini offers us an opportunity for higher expression and the ability to see ourselves as part of the whole. This influence makes it far easier for us to confront our shadow side and merge our own duality, as well as making it easier for us to see the duality in others. It will be easier to see other’s viewpoints, and this is critical during a time when some many forces are trying to divide us. Venus in Gemini encourages us to unite against opposing forces and merge with each other.
- Venus in Gemini rules transportation on wheels (cars, planes, etc.), so short road trips are in and this is a blessing because at the same time changes with the Lunar Nodes and the Sagittarius constellation (plus, just current events in general) are going to put a serious damper on long-distance travel. Venus rescues us again by encouraging us to hit the road and explore locations closer to home we’ve never had a chance to see, to visit friends nearby, and use trips for connections and mental stimulation.
- Venus in Gemini is all about being chatty, communicating, teaching and learning. Whether it’s IRL (in real life) or online, this transit will have us all connecting and reaching out far more.
This all sounds good and it is, but we also have some challenges and wild cards still out there.
Venus in Gemini rules air, lungs, and breathing. The retrograde cycle (May 13-June 25, 2020) could either accelerate the spread of a virus or slow it down. This is still a wild card.
The other wild card is will Venus in Gemini retrograde support the daily personal travel and transportation industry or will her retrograde grind it to a halt?
With Rahu joining Venus in Gemini there’s also the possibility of detachment from institutions (academia again) and organized religion. This time is about small groups, and it’s hyper-local and community driven. It will be interesting to see how this shift plays out on more outside, large -scale institutions and globalization in general.
Venus is about Love, Money, Desires, Art, Security, and Relationships. When the planet of love goes into retrograde, how will this affect us both personally and collectively? She’s had our back for so long, but what happens when she’s moving backwards?
It turns out, Mercury (ruler of Gemini )has Venus’ back during this time and slides into a supportive position right as she goes retrograde. However, on a personal level this might not feel like a supportive position to us during May as Venus and Mercury are both in Gemini and creating squares to Neptune. This results in us being tempted to give in to the illusion and fantasy, rather than the reality in our material and relationship realms.
There are many wild cards here since each person is in a unique position with how Venus is interacting with their natal / birth chart and the personal transits they’re experiencing at this time. Yet, collectively, there’s energy here for Venus in Gemini retrograde that can either deepen or destroy existing relationships. We can expect to hear about many new relationships and many divorces at the end of this retrograde cycle. But, what is also a wild card is how one chooses to handle the Venus frequency. Will you use this transit and retrograde to merge more with your loved one (Venus in Gemini at highest frequency), or will you choose the lower frequency and act in a duplicitous way and seek a connection outside of your partnership? Keep in mind Gemini is the Twins and Venus in Gemini is often voted “Most Likely to Cheat.”
Both Mercury and Venus retrogrades are notorious for causing people to reach out to former lovers (just to “check in” or full-on attempts to rekindle romance). Be wary of those with such strong desires they’re capable of destroying marriages and families. Be wary of your own unchecked desires, and know that you can communicate about uncharted sexual territory at this time. It’s a wonderful time to mix things up and deepen existing relationships, but it’s also a time many will choose the lower frequency and look elsewhere in their need to mix things up.
On the personal relationship and passion front we must also confront the awakening of desires, increased sexuality, and need for touch and connection inherent in a Venus in Gemini retrograde cycle.
This transit is helpful for wallflowers hesitant to put themselves out there and it’s also all about online hookups. Gemini loves digital communication. This is great news for all singles focused on online dating at this time.
Kesenya made a great video for AstroLada breaking down the Venus Retrograde for all 12 signs (Time Stamps in caption so you can easily skip ahead to your sign:
Venus remains in Gemini after the retrograde cycle, remaining in the shadows before she goes direct. The Planet of Love and Money is expected to predict the economic future by how quickly she becomes visible in June. Venus is expected to go visible on June 10, but the longer her visibility is delayed the harder hit for financial markets.
Venus remains in the Gemini constellation until she moves into Cancer on August 7, 2020.
Other cosmic transits and aspects (especially Mars in Aries) suggest a difficult summer for the United States, as well as many endings and beginnings throughout the globe as we experience a shift in lunar nodes, solar and lunar eclipses, and begin to emerge from Retrograde Season. From this viewpoint, Venus moving into Cancer suggests a nurturing presence at a time when it is deeply needed. As emotions are processed on multiple levels, Venus is in the emotional water of Cancer (which is also the Sun Sign of the United States using July 4 as the country’s birthday).
After we get our emotions out, we move into the spotlight with Venus in Leo (September 6, 2020) causing us to shine a light on ourselves and others and appreciate family, creativity, and children. With this placement, we need to check our ego and pride since Leo can roar when neglected or wounded, but Venus in a Fire sign will give us a much needed boost either way.
On October 2, 2020, Venus moves into Virgo and puts a focus on work, service, and health. Later in the month, (October 28, 2020) Venus moves into Libra and our focus shifts to relationships and creating harmony and balance in our relationships and environment.
In November, Venus asks us to examine the darker side and it’s likely this will connect with the eclipse near Venus’ entrance into Scorpio on November 21, 2020. Venus’ placement in the water sign of Scorpio allows us to explore the shadow side without fear, to play detective as needed, and to feel on a deep and passionate level. It is likely Venus will yet again provide us with much needed support during our darkest nights this fall.
Venus ends the year by going in the adventurous Fire sign Sagittarius on December 1, 2020. Here, Venus wants to mentally and physically expand. The Lunar North Node is also in Sagittarius at this time, so this is about reinvention, higher thinking (and subjective thinking), realigning with our true path, and being ready to leap into a new year that is truly new.